- Morning…ball of confusion…We temporarily lost the following: an envelope of cash; Glenda’s eyeglasses; Glenda’s sunglasses; Sue’s cell phone; Sue’s sunglasses; Sue’s cell phone charger (sadly, permanently lost); Glenda’s camera. Went to the gas station-more ball of confusion-we Jersey girls don’t pump gas!! What’s with this diesel gas, ethanol 10%, ethanol 85%, unleaded regular nowhere in sight? All very confusing which made for a late start.
- Back on I-90 to South Dakota. We learned that South Dakota all along I-90 is the ticky tacky kitschy capital of America. Yay!! We found a giant cow statue at the Land O Lakes building.
- On to Mitchell (shout out thanks to Kathy B for this recommendation) to view the Corn Palace. Spectacular!! It is an arena with its outside walls all decorated using corn husks, cobs and other plant and grain material. Doris Gerlach, our hostess, told us they get 600 visitors a day in the off season…and buses from Australia!!!
- Happily, in Mitchell and further along I-90 we also found a corn cob, a big steer, and a junk art sculpture park on the highway to photograph.
- Continuing on toward the Badlands–scenic landscapes and signs galore. Stopped to pick up groceries in Murdo.
- Finally…exit 131 off I-90 toward the Badlands National Park. Before we arrive at the beautiful park we get to see the giant prairie dog statue. Phew!!! We have not, however, seen a live one yet.
- Badlands National Park: crazy beautiful landscape. Our cabin is unexpectedly new, charming, made of cedar wood with western decor.
No Jersey stories today. We think that is because the entire day was just, as noted above, a big ball of confusion. Jersey girls pumping gas and cleaning the windshields? It was all just wrong. We did meet a woman in Mitchell from Massachusetts and a man from Connecticut took our picture at the cabin. Close but no cigar. We’ll look forward to getting back on track with Jersey tomorrow.
Theme of the Day: Ball of confusion
Next up: Another day at the Badlands.